Monday, July 17, 2023

Storage!

Before the trip…

I'm in the midst of completely reorganizing my garage and struggled with what to do with a treasured item.  


My father once owned a Cable TV construction and service company (Western Cable Services in Ventura, California).  In the early 1970s he built a handful of these work units to go into the tech vans.  This is the last remaining one. 


This particular one has been with me on patrol back in the day with the Fresno Sheriff’s Office in the rear of the older full-size SUV Dodge Ramchargers and Blazers that had the rear door(s) as either the barn door style or the lift up hatch, then my GMC Jimmy when worked at TCI/AT&T covering CA, AZ, and NV, and finally in my patrol SUVs during my time in Yosemite National Park (where our wood shop graciously gave it some TLC).  


Unfortunately, because of he depth and folding work shelf I didn’t think it would fit in the back of my FJ Cruiser.  I’ve tried to work it into the design of my workshop, but it’s just wasn’t happening no matter how I tried.  I considered selling it, but on a whim, I broke out the tape measure and it fit!


Approximate Dimensions


Height (folded up): 15”


Width: 37” (desk top when open is 17” deep)


Depth: 23 1/2” (with desktop open, 34 1/2” deep)


The drawers are bottom notched so the won’t slide open while traveling down the road.  The dividers in the drawers can be removed for larger items.  


It’s not light weight by any means, but it sure keeps things from bouncing around and making a lot of noise.  I’m well aware of theft issues, so I only carry some basic travel trailer gear, a really cheap toolkit, and some odds and ends.  Nothing in it is expensive, so replacing items would be easy and only and idiot  would think the gear is worth stealing and selling.  Yeah, I know those idiots are there.  Nonetheless, I’m pleased to keep it in service.  





Breaker-Breaker

I had my CB radio installed in my FJ Cruiser back about 2010.    Red Monkey was a CB radio shop in Fresno who catered to truckers and the of...